Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recycling is FUN!!!

We made crayons from crayons! I know, it doesn't sound very exciting, but it totally is.



First we dug through the crayon bucket and got out all the broken pieces.



Then we ripped on the paper off of them.



Then we sprayed muffin tins with Pam and put the pieces in like this



Then we cooked them in the oven at 300 degrees till they were all melty (about 15 minutes). Here's what it looks like midprocess.

Take them out of the oven and they are really cool looking, but they are not cool... I put mine in the freezer.


Wait till they're cool and solid and pop them out.

Then COLOR with your new CRAYONS!!!

5 comments:

Emily said...

I've done that, and it was glorious.

hellocayce said...

Three things:
1. Cook them longer than 15 minuts; I could still see the shapes of the crayons in them
2. There was a clear wax layer on the top of them, like they seperated out...maybe cooking longer will help with this..?
3. Emily, thanks for reading my blog; I thought it was just Janae and Lucy!

Mama Nae said...

I want to make some too - but most of our crayons are the plastic twist up ones.... And the regular ones are not broken... none of them. Nola must be a calmer artist than Allyson.

lucylucia said...

That look amazing. AMAZING. I want to do that. Oooh, and then you could experiment with different shapes - like using a corn shaped cornbread muffin tin and the you get corn shaped crayons!!

Also, I just ordered a pizza stone from amazon. This means that you both will have to come over in the coming weeks for homemade pizza!!

Liz said...

This is amazing! How fun!